與中文的「戛然而止」具有相同意義的英文片語：screech to a stop/halt/standstill
- The car screeched to a halt, and a man jumped out.
- He was chasing his cat down the sidewalk. A large dog appeared up ahead, and he screeched to a halt, turned around, and began to run the opposite direction.
- The economic recovery is likely to screech to a halt if taxes are increased.
- Her promising career screeched to a halt when she was caught stealing.
- screech = 發出尖銳刺耳的聲音
She was screeching at him at the top of her voice. 她對著他聲嘶力竭地尖叫著。
"Get out of here!" she screeched . 她尖叫著："滾出去！"
- halt 停止，停下，中止 The bus came to a halt just in time to avoid hitting the wall.公車正好及時停下，沒有撞到牆上。
- standstill 靜止；停頓；停滯 The runaway bus eventually came to a standstill when it rolled into a muddy field. 失控的大巴士駛入了泥濘的田裡，最後停了下來。